Friday, October 23, 2015

When Tenses Change Part 2


(See Part 1)
 
I referred previously to a topic with which we all contend at one time or another in our lives.

And I gave this particular blog the rather ad-lib title of “When Tenses Change.”

But to refresh the topic a bit, I alluded to those seasons in which relationships go bad, as the result of variables such as Death, Divorce, Distance or Decision.

And to paraphrase my original blog further, as a counselor I often encourage my clients that the ability to gain significant closure is less a matter of emotional motivation, than it is a

… choice.

(And believe me, I know whereof I speak, professionally and so much more so, experientially).

There’s a wonderful scripture in the Old Testament which reads,

“Commit your works unto the Lord, and your thoughts will be established.” (Proverbs 16:3)

And whether one happens to be a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Secular, Agnostic or Atheist, and whether one chooses to subtract the 4th through 6th words of the verse, (though I hope you won’t) a wonderful and workable concept exists here.

Sometimes, much of the time, most of the time the wherewithal to change our emotional mindset depends on

… doing something, and allowing one’s emotional and thought patterns to catch up later.

And with the doing and with the practicing and with the exercising a subtle, and then more substantial change in our emotional stuckness so often becomes possible.
(To be continued)
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 12

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog

No comments:

Post a Comment