Thursday, October 29, 2015

Sarah Turns the Corner


     There’s a line in the famous novel, Jane Eyre, which reads,

 

     “The shadows are as important as the light.”

 

      The heroine, Jane, has just given her pupil, Adeile, some practical advice about the choice of colors in a chalk drawing.

 

     That’s all well and good in a novel, but it hangs heavy on our shoulders when it’s real life.

 

     I have been counseling with a precious, young lady the past six months. I have made reference to her in previous blogs. She came with the hideous issue referred to as “cutting.” “Sarah” had become progressively worse in terms of her behavior pattern, and I strongly considered sending her elsewhere for clinical treatment.

 

     I think we arrived at “the edge of the cliff” when she cut two words into her arm.

 

                                                          
“Rage” (and) “Pain”

 

     That’s when I sent her to a local psychiatric doctor for the administration of medication. It helped.

 

     And I continued counseling this adolescent girl; against my better judgment.

 

     Well, Sarah began getting progressively better. We had turned the corner. She began to gain insight into both the causes and cures of her issues. And relapse has become increasingly unlikely.

     My little client testified in her youth group this past week. And oh, what a testimony!

 

     I remember three particular lines…

 

     “I used to want to be like those models in the magazines. Now I just want to be Sarah.”

 

      and

 

     “I’ll never cut myself again.”

 

      and

 

     “If you don’t like the things I just told you, then I guess that has to be your problem.”

 

      In terms of these statements; someone like Sarah has to arrive at a place where:

 

      *they are content with who they are, and how God made them.

 

      *they can truthfully say they will never do such things again.

 

      *they just don’t care who knows about their pasts… because they,  themselves, are more concerned with their future.



      Do you know how proud I am of this dear girl? Do you have a clue how far she’s come? Well, (and I say this with tears) Sarah and I do!

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13

 **I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog    

      

No comments:

Post a Comment