Sunday, October 25, 2015

Truth or Modesty?

My God-sister, Marianne, called me yesterday and told me she was in town, and hoped to drop by the nursing home to see my mother.

And as we chatted, I happened to mention that I would be singing a solo in my church this morning. She immediately offered that perhaps she would come by and listen to me "yodel," (as I put it on the phone).

And as we continued to chat, Marianne asked whether I was any good at what I did.

I responded with,

"Well, some people have said I have both a Jim Nabors speaking voice, and a Jim Nabors singing voice."

(and, quoting Forrest Gump)

"I don't know about that."

And as I reflected on our conversation this morning, I thought,

"Did I respond that way because I really don't believe I'm as good as Jim Nabors?"

(or)

"Did I respond that way since I really do think I'm as good as Jim Nabors, but because it would sound absurd to say so, I needed to practice a little false modesty?"

(While I think it was the former option,)

... perhaps the foregoing scenario transcends one phone call, and translates into many areas of our lives.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13

 **I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog

No comments:

Post a Comment