Friday, October 23, 2015

My Dead Mentors. Their Living Message


     I began the journey, that is this volume, with a personal paraphrase of The Book of Philippians. Paul is a singular hero of mine, and I felt I came to know him better, as a result of the paraphrase. It seemed I sat in the dark, malodorous cell with him. I wept with him. We became good friends. It was difficult to leave, as I knew the fate that awaited him. As we exchanged poignant words, I was almost tempted to reveal it, but I hesitated, and the moment passed.

 

     Outside of Paul, himself, God has given me two mentors who I never knew, but who I feel I know intimately. These men have had a profound impact on my life. They have encouraged me. Both lived and died just before “my time.”

 

     Eric Liddell is best remembered in the land of his birth. He was a Scotsman, and was immortalized in the movie, “Chariots of Fire.” In this portrayal we admire not only his intimate relationship with God, but his wonderful gift of speed. For Eric won a gold medal, during the 1924 Olympics, in a race he wasn’t supposed to win.

 

     He was an Encourager of Men. Men were easily drawn to him. He had something to say with both his words, and his life. In all of Scotland, he was known as a real man.

 

     Many of Eric’s speeches are lost for all time, but one that remains was presented at St. George’s United Free Church in Edinburgh. Liddell’s words are reminiscent of the great heart he had for mankind.

 

    “Are you living up to the standards of Jesus Christ? We are looking for men and women who are willing to answer the challenge Christ is sending out…Have you sought out a leader in everyday life? In Jesus Christ you will find a leader worthy of your devotion and mine.

 

    I looked for one I could admire, and I found Christ. I am a debtor, and no wonder I am a debtor, for He has given me a message which can only be experienced…” (Caughey, Pg. 106)

 

     I don’t know about you, but I can get excited about both the message of this young Scotsman, and the object of his message. He had a message that rang true with literally thousands of men and women, and his encouragement, and the humbleness with which he presented it changed his world!

 

     As I said, Eric was also an athlete. He had a particular style of running. As he neared the end of each race, his arms flailed like a windmill, and his head was thrown back as if he were examining clouds. No one who ever watched him run easily forgot the experience. In the same way, no one who ever heard him speak soon forgot the message, or the messenger.

 

     It was on April 6, 1923 that Eric made his first public speech. “Speaking slowly and quietly, he made the men feel like he was having a personal conversation with each one of them. ‘Do you want to know the God I love? He has given me strength when I thought I had nothing left. And He has given me words when I thought I couldn’t speak. Accept God tonight, and tomorrow you will feel a love you have never known before.’” (Caughey, Pgs. 60-61)

 

     These words seem to lovingly plead,

 

     “Look into the tent that is my life. See if there is anything substantial here. See if Christ has done anything in me. I believe He has the same thing to offer you.”

 

      I told you I had two mentor figures. It so happened that they knew one another, and it was only recently that I discovered this.

 

      Peter Marshall sat in one of those packed meetings in which Eric delivered his simple, but eloquent message. Peter, too, was a Scotsman.

 

      I’d like to believe that Liddell’s words were a driving force behind what would ultimately represent Peter’s destiny. Since, not long after their meeting, “A man named Peter” immigrated to America.

 

     Peter was an excellent orator; among most eloquent that God ever set upon the earth. For he was a “word-weaver,” and the words he wove outlive him. Knowing Peter as I do, I’m convinced that he had but one goal in life; to offer his generation a glimpse of the risen Christ.

 

      Following are a few surviving examples of his prayers:

 

     “Take from us the selfishness that is unwilling to bear the burdens of others, while expecting that others shall help us with ours. Make us… disgusted with our big professions and our little deeds…” (Marshall, Pg. 438)

 

      and

 

     “We know that we have offended You by some of the things we have done. We know that You cannot bless all that we undertake and do not approve of all our attitudes. But we would hold on to that love that You have for each one of us-the love that wilt not let us go and wilt not let us off.” (Pg. 452)

 

      Did I mention? My friend, Peter, that Scotch immigrant lad, was serving as Chaplain of the United States Senate when he offered up these and other prayers.

 

     God had a different mission for Eric Liddell. It seemed that his entire native land turned out to bid him farewell. His running shoes were put away in favor of his beloved Bible. He took that Bible to “the ends of the earth.” Eric died of cancer in 1945; an internee of Japanese-controlled China. “All of Scotland mourned his passing.”

 

     Dear Ones, these are two of my heroes. I call them mentors. Though I never knew them, in life, I know them very well, nonetheless. They were “sold out.” They made a decision and cut it into stone.
 

     They are sorely missed.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005
 
**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog 
 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment