Wednesday, October 21, 2015

A Proud Poppa!

Yep. That’s me. It is I. Yours truly.

Over the past two plus decades I have given my life to the pursuit of the pastoral counseling ministry. I’m a “people person.” I’m a come along side kinda guy. And amazingly, (all glory to the King of kings and Lord of lords) God has seen fit to entrust thousands of troubled souls to my oversight and care during the course of my calling.

I just finished watching a short video presentation which a dear young lady produced in pursuit of her Masters in Counseling. In her “free” time, she is a mother, military chaplain’s wife and social worker.

Did I mention that Jaci is my God-daughter?

And I cannot think of the one without automatically thinking of the other. For the other is involved in something very much like the former.

Speaking of social work, this little lady is also employed in the field, and like Jaci is a working mother, and enrolled in an advanced degree.

Did I mention that Kristy is my daughter?

And then there is another little lass of 17, (with a 4.0 high school GPA, I might add) who has every intention of pursuing undergrad and grad degrees in counseling, and ultimately intends to practice in the field.

Did I mention that Sarah is my granddaughter?

There’s an old hymn of the Church entitled, “And Can It Be…?” Well, to scrabble the words a bit,

… “How Can It Be?”

Suffice it to say I am one proud Poppa!

Two daughters and a granddaughter all involved in the pursuit of a ministry and career field of which I have been so desperately involved!!!

There’s a phrase I picked up at a high school graduation which I have committed to memory, and which has become my professional motto:

“My students are living messages to a time that I will never see.”

I might just as well substitute the words “daughters” and “granddaughter” after the initial word in the sentence.

What an excellent legacy has been afforded to me! How rich I am! How inestimably proud of these whom I hold so dear!

May God allow my mantle to fall upon these, my loved ones, (as surely as the mantle of Elijah fell upon Elisha), may our Lord be as good to them in the work of the ministry as He has been to me, and may He offer them a double measure of the Spirit, and afford them rich impact.

Amen.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 11

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment