Saturday, October 31, 2015

The Best Father in the World


“But I beseech you therefore brethren by the mercies of God that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, wholly acceptable unto God which is your reasonable service.” (Romans 12:1, KJV)


      I heard those words in a sermon today, and I’m writing these words on Easter Sunday. I thought it was a rather unusual subject for Easter, but that’s what Jesus was before He died, and since He didn’t stay dead, He was literally resurrected as a living sacrifice.

     The speaker ran a short video segment; a visual representation of his sermon. It depicted the most poignant story of a father and his son; a piece of footage that I’ve seen before, but which always causes me to weep.

     I don’t remember names, nor remember to write them down, but the film reflected on a baby born with the umbilical cord around his neck, and what was to become an amazing life; well-lived.

    The unfortunate lad was blessed with a father who might easily have won the title, “Best Father in the World.” For the man was determined to add immense quality and value to his son’s life.

     Both father and son had an intense interest in sports, and from somewhere came a profound idea. This middle-aged man would prepare both himself and his son for the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.

     And they were granted special permission to enter the race … as a team.

     And as the race begins, we notice the father pulling his son across two miles of water in a raft. From there he carries his teenaged son to a specially-equipped bicycle. Laying him down in a basket of sorts, the man begins peddling for all he’s worth. 100 miles. And finally, the last leg of the race. This great-hearted father pushes his son, mile after mile, while he runs behind, completed winded, but determined to finish the race. 26 miles.

     Now friend, I can’t tell you this wonderful duo came in first. But amazingly, they finished in the maximum-allowed time to be declared “Finishers.” But ya know, I don’t think their time was the priority. Since they crossed the finish line, and I think that all of heaven rejoiced with a great shout.

     And I neglected to tell you. The young man, who for all the world looks totally spastic and inept, earned his Bachelor of Science degree at a well-known university in Massachusetts. His major? Computer Science, with a specialty related to making computers more relevant to disabled people.


     Never, in my 2/3 of a century on this planet, have I seen a more literal representation of:

“Present your bodies a living sacrifice.”

Who could doubt that this father went the distance, stayed the course, cheered all of heaven,

… and made his son proud?
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 14. Volumes 1-15, Copyright 2015.

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment