Thursday, October 29, 2015

Bats, Indeed!


     I am not just a counselor. I am also a teacher.

     I am blessed to have an opportunity to do what I had originally prepared to do: Teach. Though it is a “part-time job,” I enjoy it, and intend to give it my very best. I am a so-called “Substitute Teacher.”

     But substitute, or not, it is a rich and responsible undertaking.

     I was walking out of my church this morning, and happened to pause at the lobby table. A couple of adolescent girls smiled at me, and one of them exclaimed,

     “Hi, Sub.”

     And though I didn’t recognize these young ladies, I responded,

     “Ah, let’s see. Stambaugh Middle School. Right?” And they responded in the affirmative.

     I like to think I’m leaving an impression; some kind of fragrance behind me in my wake. And this includes my presence in the classroom.

     Several years ago, (those students must be adults now), I was teaching in a local middle school, and I ad-libbed a segment on Bats; (since bats were what they were studying). Finally, the bell rang, and the students filed out. One girl, (I still remember her name; Mary G.), smiled broadly as she walked out of the room. Her words still resonate in my spirit.

     “Dr. Bill, I really enjoyed your teaching about bats. I liked it better than any lecture, ever!”

      It may be that she still remembers that day. At least, I do.

     Teachers, Counselors, and helpers of all sorts are blessed to impact people on a daily basis. It is such an opportunity to advance another’s understanding, provide information, or just smooth the way before them.

     Bats, indeed!
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog  

No comments:

Post a Comment