Thursday, October 22, 2015

Impact


Even the spelling and pronunciation of the word is filled with power.

The first thing I think of upon reading or hearing the highlighted word is that of one of those test crashes involving the prototype automobile and dummy. (A real, flesh and blood person would definitely be a dummy to volunteer for that kind of mission).

Of course, after the said car slams into the unbending, unforgiving wall, one has no difficulty determining that it has been severely impacted. And the dummy, well, he or she isn’t in the best form either, and are definitely the worse for wear.

There is, after all, that sort of impact which had the most negative results, perhaps the kind we might read in the newspaper, in which a father “gets a wild hair” and slaughters his wife, and six children with an axe. (Lizzie Borden, and Jack the Ripper suddenly come to mind). But of course, this is the most dark and hideous form of impact.

My entire life is about Impact, but impact of an entirely different sort.

Over the past 22 years, I have served as a pastoral counselor in four locations, and have been privileged to minister to thousands of men, and women, and boys and girls. Concurrent to this, I was afforded the opportunity of teaching hundreds in the context of a professorship at the local university which I first attended a full four decades ago. And words and emotions would fail me to humbly exalt in the grace I was given to mentor dozens of young, and not so young adults in a self-designed, year-long intern program.

And some of these thousands, and hundreds, and dozens have gone on to replicate my own impact in such roles as pastors, missionaries, public school teachers, military chaplains, nurses and social workers.

One of my former interns, a precious young lady named Rita Scott, once shared a few poignant phrases with me. And among all the words ever bestowed upon me, I think her assurance was the most gracious and memorable of all time, and the import of her words are what I live for.

“Dr. Bill, I don’t want to disappoint you. I’ll go for you when you no longer can. I’ll speak for you when you are no more. I will reach the people of my own generation in your name. I will impact those whom God sets in my pathway, since I can do no less than you have done for me, and before me. I will do my part to continue that which you have been faithful to entrust to me.”

For no mentor can wish to hear words any more bless-ed than these, or which have such an air of legacy, and the continuance of their own ministry; after they themselves have gone on to their reward.

Not a one of us wishes to have their voice forever muted simply because the abundance of years has ushered us to the next domain. All of us who faithfully minister in the name of Him who first set the standard wish, as He did, to see their own work replicated in those whom we will leave behind. And everyone who ever named the name of Christ, and who ever grasped the great work He left for us to do have thrilled to reflect on the possibility that somehow they might live on in the hands, and feet, and voice of another, and that strong chain which reaches back through countless generations might remain unbroken.

As the song alludes, “How blessed. How very blessed I am!”

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Writings"

 **I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment