Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Sentry & the Singer


     Ira Sankey was a rich singer of Christian songs and was widely known and loved throughout all of America. He was the George Beverly Shea of his day.

     Ira had served the Union during the Civil War. During that horrible war, he often found himself on picket duty, and he would wile away the hours with tunes he’d learned at home and in church. Even then his music was nothing short of marvelous to hear. Restless troops slumbered peacefully beneath its spell.

     It was a fine night. A cloudless sky offered Ira a better view of the stars than usual. His songs were more copious and more beautiful than ever this evening. It was then that a Confederate soldier “drew a bead” on the sentry across the river; the sentry with the short name of… Ira.

    The Civil War ended, and years turned into decades.

    A riverboat rounds the bend, and we hear music. Suddenly, on the night air, we make out the rich baritone of a gifted singer. We board that boat, and go into the dining hall.

    The fine singer has just concluded his program, and sits down. Applause fills the air, and the crowd begins to converse, and eat meals that have grown cold, as they sat in rapt attention.

    One particular man steps up to Ira, and introduces himself. There is a bit of small talk, and Mr. Sankey recognizes a Southern accent. The stranger begins to ask some mind-stirring questions; questions that revive the war years again.

    “Mr. Sankey, were you at such and such a river, on such and such a day during the war?” Ira’s face registered curiosity and interest. “Yes, I was there. How could you know?”

     The stranger smiled a whimsical smile, and asked another question. “Were you on sentry duty during the few days your unit was camped out on that river?”  

     Again, the answer… “Yes, I remember it well.” Finally, the last question, “Did you sing aloud as you sat sentry?” Ira blinked. “Yes, Yes, I always sang on sentry duty.”

    Well, you could have knocked the stranger over with a feather. He looked at Ira with an expression that registered such love, and wonderment that Sankey could not draw his eyes away from him.

    “Mr. Sankey, I was just across the river from you that night. I was also doing sentry for my unit. Upon hearing your songs, I scanned the banks, and noticed you there, all alone. I thoroughly enjoyed your music, and lingered there for what seemed like hours. And then I realized that I had a job to do. I raised my rifle to my shoulder, and “drew a bead” on your chest. I put my finger to the trigger, and exerted a bit of pressure. Again, and again, I paused, and lowered the weapon, only to bring it back up to my shoulder. In the end, I could not shoot you. Your Christian songs were too beautiful, and beckoned me towards home. Had I shot you, it would have been like killing Christ Himself.”

     We cannot know what hand “Fate” will deal us. We do know Who holds our hand. We can rest assured that “all things work together for good to those who love God.” (Romans 8:28, KJV) We can be sure that He will use us ‘til He is through, and will ultimately give us a home in heaven.

     Paul speaks of this concept in the wonderful book of Philippians. “I cannot know whether God will leave me here, or whether He will take me on to my reward. Perhaps for your sake, He will give me favor to remain for awhile.” (Chapter One, MPV)


“But this life, and the lust of it is passing away, but he that does the will of the Lord endures forever.” (1st John 2:17, KJV)

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005 

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog

 

No comments:

Post a Comment