Friday, October 30, 2015

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death


      There’s a current news story that relates to a man living in a married woman’s closet. (The man in the closet wasn’t her husband).

     Ultimately, “the man in the closet” was discovered by a surprised and irate husband. The angry man took very little time “dispatching” his foe. The murderer has been arrested, and will be charged with first degree murder.

     I’m aware of various and sundry stories that follow this same theme.
 
     It has been said that Patrick Henry, the author of "Give me liberty, or give me death," kept a deranged wife in his attic. (But that is not to say she was ill-treated).

     In the popular volume by Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre, Mr. Rochester does the same thing. Perhaps the author was working off her prior knowledge of the famous American patriot.

     But such stories are by no means singular, or unusual. Such examples have occurred, and still occur by the millions.

     Before you contradict me, I’m not talking literal here, but figurative; or better put, spiritual. At some time or another, we have all been guilty of hiding memories in our closets, and storing past events in our attics.

     Or, to coin a much more familiar phrase, we have all had, (or continue to have) skeletons in our closets.

     From my own subjective survey of this principle, 99% admit to having skeletons in their closets; (and the other l% are liars)!

     That is not to say that everyone is in favor of doing something about it. Few of us have unloaded all our “dark secrets” onto a trusted person in our lives. We “stuff.” We “numb out.” We play “hide and seek.”

     As a counselor I have been as guilty as any of my clients, in terms of “hiding skeletons.” Granted, the bones would occasionally rattle, and unnerve me a bit. And sometimes the closet door would be hard to close; (too many bones, and too little storage space).

     But even counselors arrive at a time and place when closets have to be cleaned. I’m no exception. And the results of my sharing has been beyond my expectations.

     I encourage people to share those pent-up secrets and memories that have never been reconciled in their minds and spirits. Substance groups speak of “People, Places, and Things.” That’s what we’re talking about.

     In my own life I’ve chosen two same-gender and two opposite-gender people with whom to share my hurts, memories and secrets. While I almost always recommend people use only same-gender accountability persons, I have found myself in a particular circumstance.

    The men and women, with whom I consult, are two married couples, and are my best friends. Beyond this, all four serve as mentor figures in this church agency. And, one of the women serves as my associate counselor

    And all this is not to say that we have to “unload” every sin, every memory, every excruciating specific from our pasts. God is the ultimate forgiver of sins. But I’m convinced that He uses people; people who are full of the spirit of empathy, understanding, and intervention.

    It is not for nothing that we find verses in The Holy Writ that refer to counseling:

“Without counsel the plans of a man are disappointed. But in the multitude of counselors, they are established.” (Proverbs 15:22, KJV)

    and

“In the multitude of counselors, there is safety.” (Proverbs 11:14, KJV)

    and

“Counsel in the heart of a man is like deep waters, but the man of understanding will draw it out.” (Proverbs 20:5, KJV)

     I have found the catharsis that flows out of what counselors refer to as “self-report.” I have experienced freedom from guilt, and a newness of life.

     I have left various mind-sets behind, and conquered certain defensive mechanisms. I recommend accountability. I recommend the presence of a mentor figure. We are all needy people.

    Even counselors need counsel.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog   

    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment