Wednesday, October 21, 2015

That Old 440


As I just finished entering 440 posts on my internet blog, it occurred to me that this three digit number was, at one time, a rather important part of my life.

For you see, I ran the 440 yard dash in high school. It was my specialty, (if any distance race might have been given that moniker). For to put it bluntly,

… I was just plain slow.

Now there was nothing at all wrong with my physiognomy. Nope, nothing at all.

I have an old photo of yours truly taken at the age of 17, and the famous muscleman pose left little doubt “I was strutting my stuff.” And I admit it, I looked GOOD. While at 5’9” tallness was never an attribute, and I weighed all of 160 pounds soaking wet, there’s no mistaking that classic V shape, nor the iron-hard sinew of my biceps. My BFP couldn’t have registered more than 5%.

Nonetheless, in terms of the circular 440, I just managed to pull off a 59 second time, (and that was in competition)! And at this juncture, I have no earthly idea why Coach Murphy insisted on running me in this event, nor why he allowed me to run it

bare footed!

Of course, time and distance eventually caught up with me, and I withdrew from my “best” event as the result of a stone bruise on my right heel. (Crutches kinda get in the way in a sprint).

My memory is a bit fuzzy this far along, (I mean, it’s been half a century) but this may have very well been the last time I participated in high school track.

There’s an old adage. “Saved by the Bell.”

Well, I guess I was, (I know its corny)

…. Saved by the Bruise.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 11

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment