Saturday, October 24, 2015

Valerie's Child, Part 3

Part 3 (Be sure to read Parts 1 & 2)
 
It was then that Valerie told me something that, no doubt, influenced her decision to keep the baby. “Dr. Bill, there’s something I never told you. I didn’t want you to use this information against me. I so much wanted you to be as neutral, as possible. My mother…. almost aborted me. She told me this a couple years ago. It was before my Dad and she married. They had a similar situation, and Mama was pregnant out of wedlock.

The difference is my Dad didn’t try to talk her out of keeping the baby, well me. Her parents, my grandparents, pressured them some, and they considered doing it, but finally made a decision that allowed me to live. How could I kill my own child when my parents faced the same situation, and gave me an opportunity to live? As much as I thought about it, as close as I came to doing it, I just couldn’t.”

 

Valerie’s counseling process was considered short-term counseling, as was the therapeutic intervention I offered to all my clients. It was designed to last 8-10 weeks, though I’d met with a few clients for as long as a year, and others came in sporadically over the course of several years. In the scheme of things, our sessions were a bit different than those I usually conducted, as other than providing her information, (which at times I asked her to write down in the notebook all my clients kept) I allowed Valerie to bring those issues to the process which she considered most pertinent any particular week. This sort of intervention seemed to work out well in the case of clients who found themselves “in the midst of a muddle.”

After three months had elapsed, and Valerie had told both her parents and Sandover U. about her pregnancy, we both concurred that she’d done enough in the context of counseling. By this time, Valerie had been dismissed from Sandover, and an off-campus girlfriend was allowing her to room with her for a few weeks. She told me she’d remain in touch, as she had opportunity, but the next few months seemed very uncertain. She would be returning home in a couple of weeks. Her parents had agreed to take her in. They had been verbally demonstrative about her pregnancy, until she told them about her diagnosis a few days after the first revelation. Her mother paused, the phone was “dead air” for a moment, and then her mother began to sob, and Valerie finally hung up the phone since her mom seemed unable to continue. Her father called her later that evening, and it was obvious he had also been crying. It was at this point that her parents’ demeanor changed altogether. They couldn’t do enough for her. They couldn’t love or care enough for her.

“Come home, Valerie. Please come home. We’ll beat this thing together. We can help you make a decision about keeping the baby, or giving him up for adoption.”

Before my young client went home, my wife and I took the opportunity to buy her dinner at a nearby steakhouse. (As I previously inferred in this volume, I don’t conduct my therapeutic intervention and relationship as clinical counselors were prone to do). Valerie was in the second trimester by this time, and her swollen belly seemed to contradict her thin frame. As I said goodbye to her that day, (and as I write these words, I can still sense the emotions of that moment) she wrapped her arms around me, and held on the longest time. I admit, I was a bit embarrassed at this development; right here in front of God, my wife, and everyone. But I wasn’t prone to deprive Valerie of her rightful expression of joy and the closure recent weeks had accomplished. She was blessed… and she knew it. I was blessed to have had the opportunity to intervene in the life of this precious young woman. I whispered a couple sentences in her ear, (and what I said that day, my readers, is none of your business) and kissed her on the forehead.

I never saw or heard from Valerie again. I can’t really account for that. I have never regretted having had the privilege of intervening in her life. I had little doubt that, as long as God gave her breath, she would make a difference in lives and live out her own life the best she could, under the circumstances. But as the years sifted into the proverbial hourglass of time, I thought about Valerie several times a month. I might as well have forgotten my own mother or sister.

One spring day, it was perhaps seven years after I finished my work with Valerie, I was at a local garden center buying some perennials. I ran into Ms. Blair, the R.N., who had referred Valerie to the counseling center. We hadn’t seen one another for quite some time, as she and her husband had decided to attend church in a nearby city, and I had lost touch. It was providential that we met that day.

Ms. Blair saw me first, and hurried up to me. Rather than wearing the common expression which accompanies a greeting, she looked pensive, as if dreading the news she was about to divulge. “Bill, how are you and your wife?” I responded that I was quite well, “thank you.” What she told me next shocked me to the depths of my very soul. “I have news from Valerie. Well, not from Valerie exactly,.. but of Valerie. I received a call from her sister a couple months ago. She and her parents had moved to South Florida. She named her son, Christopher. He was born HIV Negative,… and has remained negative.” When she said this, something inside of me smiled. I couldn’t have been happier had Michael Anthony (of classic TV fame) walked up, and told me he had an envelope for me with a million dollars in it. Her story continued.

“It seems Valerie met a nice guy, a Christian man, at a singles event at her church. They immediately hit it off. After a short time, she divulged her HIV Positive status to Jim. It shook him up for a short time, but they talked it through, as he knew he loved her, and they continued to see each other. About a year after they met, they married.”

“Jim loved and treated Christopher like his own son, though he had two other children from a previous marriage. Evidently Valerie had very good taste in men, as after a great deal of training, and several promotions, Jim became City Manager for a very large city in South Florida. Bill, I’m sorry to tell you that after a couple years of marriage, Valerie began to develop skin infections, and experienced a bad cough, and she was diagnosed with full-blown AIDS.

In spite of the medication she had been administered for so long, she grew weaker. She died two years ago.

I’m so sorry. I know you cared immensely. Her sister told me Valerie often spoke of your kindness to her, and how grateful she was that you came into her life when you did.”

Well, my readers, I was overwhelmed with grief. I could not have felt more momentary sorrow than if someone had told me my own daughter has died. As I near the completion of this chapter, and recount this portion of my story, tears well in my eyes.

As Ms. Blair finished, her voice broke, “Her family surrounded Valerie, as she lay in the hospice room, and she died peacefully. Her sister told me that just before she passed, she took Jim’s hand, and the hand of her son, and joined them together. Jim recently adopted Christopher, and Chris took his last name. Though the boy has had a hard time, after the death of his mother, he is doing well now. He is healthy and happy.”

I thanked Ms. Blair for providing me her update. I never dreamed when I drove to the garden center that day that I would receive such momentous news. Over the following months I experienced my own private grief, as a result of Valerie’s passing. I would have liked to have spoken to her a few times over the course of those hidden years, at least hidden to me, and I would have liked to have spent a few moments with her on that day she left us.

I have no doubt Valerie is in a better place now, and I can only rejoice that her son is in the care of a good man. And I suppose he must be approaching manhood now. Christopher might well have remained a theory, a figment, a non-entity. But I rejoice that a young man moves, and breathes, and lives today, as a result of a mother’s willingness to spare his life, and this counselor’s good fortune to intervene in the life of a precious young lady, who deserved a long and prosperous journey, who left us far too early, but who bequeathed something rich and tangible of herself to this world,… the life of her dear son.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005
 
**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment