Friday, October 30, 2015

It Might as Well Be Me


     At this writing we are “in between” pastors.

     But in between is not without in this case. A university professor from our nearby denominational school has been filling in for us. I like the sermon he preached tonight more than almost any I’ve ever heard, because it was so poignant and so “there there.”

    The minister spoke from the First Book of Thessalonians, but he might just well have chosen any of St. Paul’s books. Because Paul is Paul is Paul. For my money, outside of Christ, Himself, there never was a man like Paul.

    The subject of the preacher’s sermon included the themes of:

    Character, Vulnerability, Sensitivity, Empathy and Impact.

    These adjectives might easily have listed “Paul” as their example in Webster’s Dictionary.

     I sat transfixed, as I rarely have, as the professor summarized a man who cannot be easily or briefly summarized. Tears coursed down my cheeks. And as much as I attempted to stem that flow, words like Impact, and phrases like Passing the Mantle renewed the liquid tide.

     For I am about Impact.

     It is my life. It burns within me, “and will not let me go.” Oh, it would be easier to “just go about my business,” but I can’t, and I won’t.

    One illustration the professor used tonight involved a question he had previously asked another elderly professor at the university.

    “Doc, you’ve been forced to travel a lot in your ministry. What keeps you faithful to your wife?”

    The answer has remained with him through the years.

    “Well, Bill, someone has to set the standard for our students. Someone

has to model God’s faithfulness for them. I decided it might as well be me.”

    As a counselor, I am in the place to raise up disciples. And I can’t imagine putting myself in a place to let them down.

     Tonight was a good example of what I can “get off on.” It beats the socks off “just being mediocre.” During our congregational prayer tonight, I walked across the sanctuary, between and through several pews and aisles, in order to pray with “Sarah,” one of my current ‘disciples.’

     I sat behind her, and placed my hand on her head, and prayed a prayer of resolution and gratefulness for her. After the prayer was concluded, I left her a copy of the devotion I had recently written about her.

Having sat back down, I looked back at Sarah. She had opened the envelope, and was eagerly reading the pages.

    When she finished, she glanced up, and our eyes met. The most amazing smile lit up her face.

    Tell me that Impact isn’t worth it all.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13

     **I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog    

      

 

No comments:

Post a Comment