Thursday, October 29, 2015

I Love You Guys


     There’s a particular movie I watch from time to time. It’s called “Hoosiers.”

      I expect most of you have seen it at one time, or the other. And though I’m certainly no fan of basketball, (I don’t think I attended any of my high school games) I love this movie.

      It’s a slightly fictionalized, but basically true story of an Indiana high school team from a very small, early ‘50’s town.

     The coach was a “has been,” (having been fired from a college team) and at this juncture, he had pulled together just enough players to fill up a roster.

     As the movie progresses, the town’s people come down hard on “Coach Dale.” He’s hardly given a chance to prove himself, as his team goes down to inglorious defeat in the first few games. According to the cinematic script, Dale comes up for a dismissal vote, and is barely retained.

     But there’s something about this team and this coach. They’re no slackers, and they’re no quitters. It’s almost as if Norman, (since that’s his first name) is focused on what could be, rather than what was. And I think “that’s what separates the men from the boys.”

     Suddenly the team seemed to regroup. No time to do otherwise. No time to dwell on the past, as dismal as it has been ‘til now.

     Bigger and better teams fall to the “Hoosiers.” Indiana basketball was shaken to its core. It was nothing short of a figurative earthquake; in this state that almost worships the game of basketball.

     Well, “the little team that could” did what any soothsayer might have called “Impossible.” They found themselves at the Indiana State Basketball

Championship; playing in the biggest gymnasium any of them had ever seen.

     We see Coach Dale and his team all “huddled up,” just prior to taking the court. We see a minister as he bows his head in prayer. We listen to the most poignant, and fitting scripture he could have possibly read:


“Then David put his hand in his bag and took a stone; and he slung it and struck the Philistine in his forehead, and he fell on his face to the earth.”

(1st Samuel 17:49, KJV)

     Whereas the team seemed more focused on the size of the gym, and the butterflies in their stomach, before the verse was read, afterwards, it was an altogether different spirit that permeated the little group of athletes.

     Well, I could tell you this team played their heart out and won. I could tell you that, and…

      I’d be telling you the truth!

     The team that never could, and never should… Did! The final score?

“Hoosiers” – 42. Visiting Team – 40

     I love the end of the movie. The last scene takes us back to that old gymnasium where the dream had its genesis. A little boy is shooting baskets, and the camera zooms in on a large picture depicting Coach Dale, and his magnificent little David’s.

     The caption?

     “Indiana State Champions, 1952.”

      And as the movie fades to black, we hear the coach’s closing words:

     “I love you guys.”

     I’ve lived too long, and worked too hard to not believe the almost unbelievable. We are called to believe when believing is almost incredulous.

    As someone once said,

   “When a little guy doesn’t know he’s little, he can do some pretty big things.”

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog
 

No comments:

Post a Comment