Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Slime in Our Lives


I was just outside in the front yard, and I noticed my glass-bottomed pond needed cleaning. (Come to think of it, ‘til this very moment I hadn’t invented a good moniker for it). “Long story short,” when Gini and Pam sold their late mother’s home, next door, they bequeathed the ornamental, ground-level bird bath to my safekeeping. It’s a beautiful old thing, as the bottom is comprised of multi-colored stained glass.

At any rate, I have to clean the darned thing on a weekly basis, since it tends to develop a green, ugly slime which discolors the water; (and as a result the feral cats in the neighborhood avoid drinking from it).

However, after I turn on the hose, and spray the thing out with a high-pressure nozzle, it comes almost as clean as the day it was made.

I think life is a lot like that lovely old pool. When we sit around awhile it’s easy to stagnate, and develop a figurative green slime in and about our figurative beings.

For you see, I think we as human beings, were destined for greatness; at least so far as greatness might be individually defined and realized. And part and parcel of that greatness includes swimming in all the clean, cool water that life has to offer.

When I stared into the shallow depths of my glass-bottomed pond today, and noted that nasty green slime which covered the bottom, and permeated the water, I decided to clean up a bit of the “slime” and stagnation in my own life. And I think one way of doing so involves breaking out of my staid, stale way of doing things.

Waking up in the wee hours of the morning, peddling that same old 10 mile trek, sleeping another three hours, turning on the television for “a little news,” shoving a pot pie in the microwave, driving to the post office, listening to a portion of the New Testament on a decades old audio tape, weeding my flower garden, watching the “Evening News with Lester Holt,” writing a daily blog on my internet website, taking an evening nap, watching the late news, lying down for a couple of hours sleep; before the cycle begins again. (And on weekends, sometimes taking in a movie with my wife, and attending Sunday church services).

Yes, I believe breaking out of my staid, stale old way of doing things may require adding a little more flavor to my life, and perhaps that of my wife.

We’re planning a trip to Scotland next year. I’ve always wanted to visit that portion of the old country; for you see, both sides of my dad’s family originated there.

But that’s next year.

And so I find myself mentally sorting through a myriad of priorities, and the possible exclusion and inclusion of “things” which may serve to clean up what I consider the stagnation in my current life.

More time expended on spiritual things, such as scripture, prayer and what I refer to as “impact.” Another form of ministry, whereas my current outreach seems to have, (there’s that word again) stagnated. Aerobic exercise, (since I think my body has somehow acclimated to my daily 10 mile bike trek, and I’ve regained some of the 50 lbs. I previously lost). A bit more time and effort given to manual, (rather than internet) family research. A new restaurant, (and believe me, as an introvert I avoid generally “new things” like the plague). Day trips to inexpensive, but interesting places in Florida; (attractions within 100 miles, but which in my 66 years I’ve never yet visited). A road trip to the northern tier of states.

Cleaning up the figurative green slime which permeates what has become a rather boring, far too structured, staid, stale life.

Why, I may even take up sky diving!
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog  

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment