Thursday, October 22, 2015

His Eye IS on the Sparrow


In the devotional Then Sings My Soul Robert Morgan conjectures, “Long ago, there was a woodworker in Nazareth who counted bird-watching among his diversions. We can make that assumption, because Jesus referred frequently to bird-life in his sermons…”

      Civilla Martin and her husband, Walter were what I refer to as a “ministry team.” He was an evangelist. She a hymn writer. This wonderful couple met and befriended an infirmed husband and wife with the surname, Doolittle, in 1905. In spite of their afflictions, the Doolittle’s did much; (a play on words don’t you know). They always seemed cheerful, and were a constant encouragement to their friends.

      One day Rev. Martin asked them for the secret of their happiness. Mrs. Doolittle’s response was contagious… “His eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches me.” That poignant experience set the stage for the famous hymn, “His Eye is on the Sparrow.”

 
      “Why should I feel discouraged? Why should the shadows come?

        Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home

        When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He

        His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.”

 

      “Whenever I am tempted, Whenever clouds arise,

        When song gives place to sighing, When hope within me dies,

         I draw me closer to Him, From care He sets me free,

         His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.”


     I think that as long as our focus remains on the horizontal, we are apt to be discouraged. But when we “lift our eyes unto the hills,” all that immediately changes. Our vision must be vertical.

     There’s a wonderful verse that exhorts us to “…day by day, and as long as today shall last, continue to encourage one another.” (Hebrews 3:13, LB)

    It is no false encouragement we offer.

    His eye is on the sparrow.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment