Friday, October 30, 2015

Annoying, Repetitive & Generally Pathetic Words


Over the course of my life I have noticed that the English, most especially journalists and news anchors, use a repetitive, and generally useless word at every opportunity.

… “INDEED”

As in

“Thank you for your report on the price of Chinese accordians, Janet. It was very informative, indeed.”

or

“Now we take you to Iraq for a special report on the video of Saddam Hussein in his whitey tighties. I don’t mind saying, this is a strange development, indeed!”

Now, for the life of me I see no redeeming value in using a word which adds absolutely nothing to the meaning or value of a sentence. After all the phrases “It was very informative” and “This is a strange development” speak for themselves; (without the inclusion of pointless add on’s like … “indeed.”

Speaking of repetitive words I once knew an individual, whom I don’t care to identify by name or profession, but who often appeared at public presentations. And he had the curious habit of ending every other sentence with,

… “Ya know”

I guarantee, among any word or phrase in this or any other universe, “Ya know” has to be the most exasperating.

And then there’s a commonly used southern word which I admit using a great deal.

… “Ya’ll”

as in

“I hope ya’ll will come see us when you’re in the neighborhood.”

And I just came across a list of slang terminology gleaned from among our 50 states.

In Kansas they use the colloquial term, “doodinkus” as a substitute for “thingamajig.”

In Oregon a “cho-cho” is a small boy.

and

in Hawaii “huhu” refers to an emotional outburst.

I can only imagine how exasperating it would be to transfer to Kansas, Oregon or Hawaii, and having to listen to the repetitive use of such non-sensible words as doodinkus, cho-cho and huhu.

There are just some words which deserve to be

File Thirteened!”

(Oops)
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13

 **I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog    

No comments:

Post a Comment