Sunday, October 25, 2015

Sliding Across the Finish Line


     I fancied myself a track star during my high school years. But I had neither the genetic makeup nor the will power to excel in that department.

    Granted, I ran the 440 yard dash, but dashing was a poor verb for what I managed to do. But I thought myself fortunate to never finish last; (next to the last, but never last).

     Jack C. was a whole ‘nother story. Characterizing him as fast would have been an gross understatement. He was “a god” on the asphalt circle. Where I struggled to break the 60 second mark, Jack jogged it in less time.

     I remember one track meet in particular, not for the location since I have no idea these forty years hence where it was held. But it was one of the more momentous days in my life; (or more precisely in Jack’s life).

     Our track hero was in the lead as he rounded the last curve, and he seemed oblivious to every other runner. His eyes were “glued” to the finish line; his mouth curled into a painful grimace.

     It had rained that day and there was an unusual amount of water on the track. Suddenly the unthinkable occurred. Jack slipped five yards from the finish line, and began to hydroplane… on his stomach and chest. And slid in first place! Apparently he’d been far enough ahead of the other runners that falling down in a straight line was good enough for a win.

    (No one said he had to cross the finish line on his feet)!

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Writings"

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog

No comments:

Post a Comment