Thursday, October 22, 2015

Single Mindedness (and the Lack Thereof)


In the past I have written a couple of blogs with the non-fictional and fictional Charles Ingalls as the main character. I say non-fictional (and) fictional since this man once actually lived, and moved, and loved, and breathed, and of course Michael Landon developed the television version of the character in the “Little House on the Prairie” series. (For the purpose of this story its “neither here nor there,” but the “real” Charles Ingalls was a distant cousin of mine).

At any rate, my implication in having used Charles Ingalls as a previous blog topic was to both point out and praise the two major attributes which the fictional version of the man displayed.

Compassion and Justice

And given these two wonderful attributes there are any number of other positive traits I especially admire, and attempt to emulate, such as,

Empathy and Encouragement

But while we are reflecting on such imminent and crucial tendencies, I cannot help but add another.

Single-Mindedness

The Book of James refers to the lack thereof when the half-brother of our Lord informs us that,

“A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways.”

Jesus, Himself, referred to the quality of single-mindedness, (and the lack thereof) when He said,

“No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.” (Luke 9:62)

I admit it. I’m biased. But when I consider the attribute of single-mindedness, I cannot help but think of my God-daughter’s husband, Travis.

I mean, I was reading through the “S” section of Webster’s Dictionary the other day, and ran across the hyphenated word,

Single-Mindedness

 and lo and behold next to the word

… was a photo of Travis!!!

(Well, not really, but you get my drift).

Among many good and positive traits my son-in-law displays, I believe the one which characterizes him best is, (you guessed it)

Single-Mindedness

It has been a privilege and a pleasure to assist Travis in his pursuit of excellence. For you see, this young man has been called to the ministry, but not just any ministry, but the military chaplaincy.

I have stood on the sidelines as my son-in-law completed his undergraduate degree, admired his love of, and mentorship to the boys of a Teen Challenge center in his role of chaplain, encouraged him in his pursuit of ordination in an evangelical denomination, stood by as he enrolled in seminary, served as an ad-lib advisor in his attempt to fine-tune his literary submissions, gratified with his formal involvement as a role model to young men with dependence issues, looked on as he completed his grad program, and experienced a sense of justifiable pride as he finalized his packet for submission to the United States Army Chaplaincy Board.

Here is a man who having “put his hand to the plow” has stayed the course, his eyes on the prize, and who has left a straight furrow in the ground behind him.

I believe, (as I have been prone to say)

… He will be “heard from.”
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 12

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment