Friday, October 30, 2015

Greatness in His Veins


       I think of all the qualities a Christian can possess, certainly God must put a premium on Excellence.

      One of the greatest athletes of our time, Michael Jordan, is so thoroughly aware of this quality. During his high school years people came from fifty and sixty miles away, just to see him play “the game of hoops.” Excellence seemed to exude from his veins.

      High school was over, and Michael had the opportunity to attend college. There was never any other choice for him. He enrolled at The University of North Carolina.

      In a conference with his coach, the man said, “Michael you’re going to have to play hard. You’re not in high school any longer.” Jordan responded with “Coach, I’ll work as hard as anyone else here.” Smiling the man responded, “Mike, do you want to be like everyone else?” He didn’t. Who can forget those gravity-defying shots? Who can forget his thirty and forty point games? I never had a taste for basketball, but watching Michael has always been a treat.

      Throughout the years, our hero has been the Model Par Excellence, the Mold, The Standard. But not just in the game of basketball.

      Granted, he has made mistakes, like the rest of us. At times, during especially contentious games, he got into fights with opposing team members. But, as his teammates can tell you, time after time, after things cooled down, he would apologize.

      One reporter, Andrea Kremer of ESPN, tells a compelling story.

      “My Mom had recently died, and I had just finished covering one of Jordan’s games. A swirl of players, fans, and reporters were trailing off through a nearby exit, while I chose a different route, and began to walk down a darkened hallway.

       I heard someone behind me, and turned my head. It was Michael. He had left the clamoring throng, and followed me into the exit. His grace surprised me, for he suddenly said, ‘Andrea, I’m so sorry to hear about your Mom.’”

     Then there was a time that Jordan tried a new game; Baseball. The minor leagues beckoned him, but did not bless him. Even here, he gave it his all. But failed to succeed. Greatness never guarantees success, but success is elusive without it.

     Excellence.

    I long to be a man of excellence. There’s far too few to go around.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13. Volumes 1-15, Copyright 2015.

 **I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog       

     

 

    

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment