Saturday, October 24, 2015

Warning Signs

My dad left us in 2012, the eventual result of a stroke, but not without lingering for awhile in the hospital, and a rehab facility.

And while it is too easy to second guess one's self in terms of what you saw then, but what you missed then, nonetheless it is important to learn lessons which will "stand you in good stead" in the future.

Prior to the massive stroke which took him from us, it may have been 2-3 years before his death, my dad and I decided to peddle around the mobile home park where he and mama made their residence.

Strangely enough, during the course of the ride, my dad "sailed off" the road two or three times, and ended up in the grass; almost falling one time. And while I, subsequently, wondered about that day, I just passed it off as old age or vertigo.

And it was about this time that my dad "took to his chair." (Chair, not bed). He would sit in that chair all hours of the day, and night, and refuse to go anywhere with my mother; (which exasperated her no end).

"Henry, let's go have lunch with Bee and Shirley."

To which he would respond,

"Erma, haven't I worked hard all my life? Well, I ain't gonna do it anymore. I'm just gonna sit here and watch the birds and alligators in my pond."

And he did. A man who had been "out doorsey" and active all his life, and then suddenly...

Just two examples which upon reflection may have been warning signs that something was happening, and which we were too close to missing.

Ultimately, an MRI showed he had experienced several TIA's (mini-strokes) during the years leading up to his death.

While I think there's no room for guilt, and my dad would not have wanted us to brood over such things, (and I don't know if the decline in his physical and mental health might have been delayed if we had been more cognizant of the changes) but it is important to watch for such signs among the elderly; most especially in terms of behavioral, mental and emotional symptoms which are contrary to the usual personality and demeanor of the individual.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 12

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog

No comments:

Post a Comment