Monday, October 26, 2015

Allowing God to Hold Fair


      There is that Discipline of Delay. We’ve all been there.

      From that client of mine, who couldn’t find a way to put “Fair” in God’s hands, to another of my charges who was forever reminding me of the blessings of God; (while adamantly extolling the lack thereof in the husband she was divorcing). People so bent on criticism that they thoroughly missed the Blessings of Delay.

     We’ve all been there. There is an intense discipline of the soul that conjures up all sorts of animosity, bitterness, and even hatred. We are Stuck, with a capital “S.”

      I think of the first thirty years in the life of Christ. Talk about a Discipline of Delay. He knew it. To even remotely comprehend who you are, and where you’re going… and not being able to be and go! Yet,… the heavens are brass, and the years accumulate, like tears in a bottle.
 
     I've met countless people who populate that land called, "Delay." Some live in tents, and quickly depart, having been granted answers to their petitions. While others are forced to build stout dwelling places; answers eluding them for multiplied years.

     Now I don’t pretend to fully understand how Character is molded in such an environment. But it is. You will find that our most precious, and enduring saints have all suffered injustice, or hurt, or death, itself. Oh, you may have to ask them a few questions. They don’t just go around shouting their spiritual misery to the world. They’re just not like that.

     But I am convinced that “God does all things for our good,” and that He will win out in the end. He remains the Master of Delay, and The One who consoles us in our confusion.

    There are a couple of verses that have offered me great consolation:

“My brothers, consider it pure joy when you move through many trials. For that trial, which so thoroughly challenges your faith, produces patience.”

(James 1:2-3, MPV)
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog

No comments:

Post a Comment