Sunday, October 25, 2015

Riding a Non-Existent Time Machine


     The year was 1993, and my wife, and I found ourselves in Lynchburg, Virginia. I was enrolled in a distance education degree with Liberty University, and was attending my second and last required residential course.

     I am “eat up” with the Civil War. By 1945 my Great, Great Uncle was one of the few remaining veterans of that war. He served as Commander in Chief of United Confederate Veterans, the official fraternal organization, during the middle of the 20th century.

     (My wife and I have visited at least ten battlefields, and I’m still an inactive member of Sons of Confederate Veterans, which continues the lineage and tradition of the United Confederate Veterans).

     Wilbur McClain was a prominent citizen of Virginia during the mid- 1800’s. He had moved to Lynchburg from Manassas, the site of the first significant battle of the war. That battle actually took place on his property. Having witnessed this national shame firsthand, he was determined to move as far away, as possible. The completely ironic and unexpected occurred. The Civil War ended in his new hometown, on his property, in his living room!
 
     I could not leave that area without seeing Appomattox Courthouse for myself. It was just a "hop and a jump" from Lynchburg, and Liberty University. My wife and I had visited the site earlier in the week, and had toured the home of that two-story home where Lee and Grant negotiated the surrender. On this very spot two signatures reconciled a divided country.

     However, “we took a notion” to travel there again by night, just prior to leaving the area for good. Though we couldn’t go onto the site after hours, it just seemed right to get a final flavor of The Historic. It was to be a memorable evening for me.

      As we neared the property, my wife took a small item out of her purse, and inserted it into the audio tape deck of our rental car. Unbeknown to me, she had purchased a copy of authentic Civil War music that very day. The strains and cords of the music filled our car, and the emotions I felt then have remained with me to this day!

      It was like traveling back in time. It was so reminiscent of riding in a time machine. Never in my life have I experienced anything quite like it. It was the next best thing to being there.

     But there are no time machines. There are books and recordings and videos… and memories, but we can never really go back. While it’s fascinating to theorize about journeying back into time, and it’s fun to watch movies like H.G. Wells, “The Time Machine,” we cannot go back.

     It would be wonderful to hop on one of those theoretical time machines, and set the dial for such and such a year, and journey back to correct a given mistake, prevent a certain failure, or talk to our younger selves about God’s mission for our lives. But sadly,…

it is not possible.

     We have to live with the past. We must find “partial closure” with our singular pasts. There is a beautiful scripture; “This one thing I do. Leaving the past behind, and turning to all that God has prepared for me.” (Philippians 3:13, MPV)

     God has the power to forgive, and we are not bigger or better than He. Perhaps the most difficult choice in life is to forgive one’s self. None of us have lived to our fullest potential, and we have all done things that have sorely displeased the Creator, and took us further away from His best plans for us. But the Supreme Judge declares us “Not Guilty,” and just who are we to question His verdict?

     Forgiving self is a choice. Forgiving self may start with saying it aloud; “Self I forgive you. You are released from my retribution.” Forgiving self or others does not depend upon a certain feeling.

     No, we cannot jump on the nearest time machine, and intervene just before “everything fell apart,” but we can redeem the time left to us. We are on a mission, and nothing must be allowed to deter us.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog
 

No comments:

Post a Comment