Thursday, October 29, 2015

Loneliness, Part 1


I was just listening to one of the countless segments of the “Night Sounds” broadcasts; (a wonderful radio outreach which is available on the internet on a 24 hour basis).

The topic was Loneliness.

The late Bill Pearce spoke to a subject with which he could all too well identify, since when he was not involved with his recurring radio broadcast, as a middle-aged to elderly man he found himself in and out of airports, and in and out of concert halls, and churches ministering on the trombone, as well as with his rich baritone voice.

This man who had touched the lives of multiplied thousands admitted to wondering if all the applause and adulation was all about what he had to give, rather than for who he was. And he mused that if, by chance, his radio broadcast was removed from circulation whether he and his ministry would be all too easily forgotten in the course of time.

This particular broadcast featured a beautiful instrumental,

“JESUS, What a Friend for Sinners”

(Wilbur Chapman)

Jesus! What a Friend for sinners!
Jesus! Lover of my soul;
Friends may fail me, foes assail me,
He, my Savior, makes me whole.


Jesus! What a Strength in weakness!
Let me hide myself in Him.
Tempted, tried, and sometimes failing,
He, my Strength, my victory wins.


Jesus! What a Help in sorrow!
While the billows over me roll,
Even when my heart is breaking,
He, my Comfort, helps my soul.


Jesus! What a Guide and Keeper!
While the tempest still is high,
Storms about me, night overtakes me,
He, my Pilot, hears my cry.


Jesus! I do now receive Him,
More than all in Him I find.
He hath granted me forgiveness,
I am His, and He is mine.


(chorus)

Hallelujah! what a Savior!
Hallelujah! what a Friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving,
He is with me to the end.

 
As a counselor, teacher and mentor, though having impacted literally thousands throughout the course of my ministry, I can all too well relate; especially with the first verse. But whether we happen to be a minister, or layman, professor or construction worker, we’ve all “been there” at one level or another.
Such an intrusive ache which fills up the soul, and permeates the physical body, (and which, no doubt, accounts for many of the ailments to which mankind is all too prone).
(to be continued)

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment