Sunday, October 25, 2015

And Can It Be That I Should Gain


Charles Wesley was one of the most prolific songwriters of his, or any other era. Though he had attended Oxford University, and was already a hymn writer, par excellence, he knew no peace and sometimes found himself discouraged with religion that lacked relationship.

 

      Having met a particular group of evangelical Christians, his entire life changed. His words speak for themselves:

 

     “At midnight I gave myself to Christ, assured that I was safe, whether sleeping or waking. I had the continual experience of His power to overcome all temptation, and I confessed with joy and surprise that He was able to do exceeding abundantly for me above what I can ask or think.”

 

     Of all the hymns Charles ever wrote, “And can it be that I should gain” is my favorite. It is said to be his final work, since legend has it that it was dictated to his wife while he lay on his deathbed! The words are so poignant and so wonderful.

 

     “And can it be that I should gain an int’rest in the Savior’s blood? Died He for me, who caused His pain? For me, who Him to death pursued?”

 

     My very soul thrills within me as I sing the chorus.

 

    “Amazing love! How can it be that Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?”

 

     I think that songs like this can only serve as a prelude to that eternal, but not so distant opportunity we shall have to worship our Lord… face to face.  

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005 

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog

No comments:

Post a Comment