Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Poverty of Things


I received this comment from a social media friend who is widely known as a soloist with the Seventh Day Adventist denomination.

"(Your recent blog) made me remember that poverty strikes our spirit in so many ways. Poverty of love, finance, friendship, fertility, physical/mental/spiritual health, ministry roles, etc. God has a plan and if we seek Him through the journey, He will see us through it. A 'pause' can be healing and eye opening." (Camille Aragones)
 
I had previously written a blurb about the seeming stagnation of the calling, or at least the fulfillment, (or current poverty) of the calling in my life, and my frustration with achieving whatever destiny still remains to me in the time I have left on this good earth.
 
There's a current commercial on television which tends to "bring it all home."
 
We see a woman walking casually down a tree-lined pathway, and she is heard to say,
 
"I'm in my 60's. I have a long life ahead of me. I have plans. Things to do."
 
Well, having arrived at the grand old age of 2/3 of a century, I can tell you the musing of the lady in the television ad is
... bull.
 
Neither she, nor I have a very long life ahead of us. Having lived the majority of our lives, we are almost "there there."
 
And thus, the immediacy of fulfilling God's purpose on the earth while there is still time left to me to do it.
 
But when I'm prone to think such thoughts, I discover a recurring reassurance that, as scripture assures me, "The Lord WILL accomplish that which concerns you." (Psalms 138:8)
 
And this promise overwhelms any tendency I have for doubt or despair that I might not somehow achieve whatever He still has for me to do while I'm here.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 12

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment