Thursday, October 29, 2015

Loneliness, Part 2

And as the radio program wound its way to its inevitable conclusion, Mr. Pearce alluded to a mindset which I, myself, (though I am a Christian) have recently “enjoyed.”

That pervasive thought that

… “Yes, but God (if He exists) is invisible, and close to being irrelevant. He cannot touch me, and I cannot possibly touch Him. For He has yet to replace the touch of a human hand, or the presence of someone I can see with my eyes. I mean, when is the last time He wrapped His big arms around me, and hugged me for all He was worth?”

And obviously there is something to be said for human compassion, presence and fellowship, and this facet of filling up our loneliness can never be dismissed. And the lack thereof creates a hole in the soul which can hardly be filled.

(And as a counselor, I would be the last to demean this variable in a human life).

However,

… our radio host goes on to remind us that what we see and feel is not all there is.

For as human beings we are not merely flesh and blood, but rather, soul and spirit, and there is that eternal ache which longs to be filled.

I once came across one of the most remarkable phrases which brought it all home to me.

“You’ve heard that in the hearts of every man, woman and child is a space that only God can fill, but did you realize that in the heart of God, Himself, is a space that only (insert your name) can fill.”

And ultimately, this is the reason why Christ visited this world, ministered to and commensurated with us, died on our behalf and returned to heaven.

My favorite scripture is found in the Book of Hebrews:

“We have not a high priest who cannot be touched by the feelings of our infirmities, but was in all points tempted like we are, yet without sin.

Let us come boldly to the throne of grace that we may receive mercy for our failures, and grace to help in the time of need.”

Next time you find yourself in the throes of loneliness, I would encourage you to reflect on the invisible, but all too real presence of a Savior who, as scripture assures us, “sticketh closer than a brother.”

And who, ultimately, has the power to come along side, and assuage that lonely place in our spirit; when all those about us have gone their own way.
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog  

No comments:

Post a Comment