Wednesday, October 28, 2015

If I Had Known Growing Old Was This Great, I Would Have Already Done It!!!


Getting old is wonderful.

(At least if you believe the implication of television commercials).

There’s the lady who we see walking down a pathway in the midst of a lovely forest, and the audio overlay rambles on about,

“I’m only 60. I have a things to do and places to go. I have a long life ahead of me.”

(Well, Madame, not so long as you might think).

and

The ad for catheters is classic. The announcer raves about the lack of pain associated with putting them on, or in (depending on your gender). His voice is just so pleasant and enthusiastic. (You’d almost think a person should delight in the experience of “slow or no flow” so they could try out such an amazing product!)

And then there’s the ads for medication of every conceivable variety (and price).

Lately, the drug manufacturers have assigned every possible combination of syllables to their products, including such “winners” as Harvoni and Latuda. The guys who sit around a conference table dreaming up names for medication must laugh so hard they pee in their pants! (I know I’ve often poked fun at the stupid medicinal monikers. Every time one of the commercials airs I’m prone to exclaim, “Please, get me to the emergency room. My Latuda fell on the floor!” (or) I checked my Harvoni today, and I swear there’s a big wart on it!")

And as the commercial’s background music soothes away your cares, the narrator rattles on with obligatory warnings of the drug’s side effects, including hair loss, impotence, incontinency, and almost certain death for those who choose this product, over something else on the market.

As desirable as the marketers seem to make it to wear catheters, take a myriad of pills, and generally grow old, it’s a wonder medical science hasn’t come up with a quicker way to do so!

(They don’t call them the Golden Years for nothing)!

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog  

No comments:

Post a Comment