Sunday, October 25, 2015

Be Still My Soul


Our Lord has commanded, (not suggested) that we be still, and reflect on His Omnipresence, Omniscience and Omnipotence. (Psalm 46:10)

 

    As human beings, we are so prone to anxiety, fear and depression. We too easily cast aside Our Lord’s reassurances and promises. I think we, as Christians, too often live as if we were orphans on the earth... without anyone to notice or care for us, without hope in a world so devoid of hope.

  

    A little remembered 18th century German woman, Katharina von Schlegel, wrote one of the most beautiful old hymns ever written. While she is long since passed from this mortal sphere, her music and resulting message remains.

 

    “Be still my soul, the Lord is on thy side! Bear patiently the cross of grief and pain. Leave to thy God to order and provide. In every change He faithful will remain. Be still, my soul, thy best, thy heav’nly Friend thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.”

 

     As I drove to the post office today, I found myself singing this precious hymn. Amazing that three centuries have come and gone, yet such eternal words continue to inspire and ring true.

 

     Thank you, Katharina.
 

 By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 13

 **I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog

    

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment