Thursday, September 24, 2015

What Kind of Problems Does She Have?


    Counsel in the heart of a man is like deep waters, but the man of understanding will draw it out.” (Proverbs 20:5, KJV)

      A dear counselor friend of mine was ministering to a woman in our church. They had worked on a variety of issues, and eventually the client asked if she could bring her six year old daughter in for a couple of sessions.

     The Christian therapist assented to her request, and encouraged her to bring the child in.

    The lady sat her daughter down, prior to bringing her for an initial session with the counselor, and said, “Honey, I’m seeing a woman at the church, and we’ve been working on a few problems together. I wonder, would you mind coming with me to talk with her?”

     The little girl responded with a quizzical look, and after a pause responded, “I don’t know, Mom. What kind of problems does she have?”

     This cute scenario made me think of the verse in Proverbs (above.) The rendering of this verse seems to imply the wisdom of sharing; sharing that goes both directions. That is, the verse could be interpreted either way. The client can gain from counselor. The counselor can gain from client.

      In my own practice I have shared things with a client, as a matter of “self-report.” Though my agenda was to give the client “something to chew on,” by way of example from my own life, the sharing of the matter actually provided needed insight for me. There have even been occasions when a client has acted as a “momentary counselor” to me.
 
      I have to laugh when I reflect on that little girl's innocent response. "I don't know, Mom. What kind of problems does she have?" There's a world of wisdom in those childish words. Even counselors need counseling. We all need someone. We all need encouragement. We all need direction.

     This is a cruel and confused old world. We need not go it alone.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005
 

No comments:

Post a Comment