Saturday, September 19, 2015

An Elephant in the Living Room


I can’t ignore it. I mean, it’s right there “in front of God and everybody.” Like an elephant in the living room. (And about the same size).

Hardly a day passes that I don’t drive by it, and oddly enough, I can’t pass it without feeling some deep-seated emotions.

The “it” is a

… tree.

A lone oak tree sitting in the middle of a small grassy pasture. And covered with Spanish moss. Sadly, as the days and weeks and months roll on, the poor tree is only getting worse, and seems about to succumb to the nasty parasite.

At one time a local church had designs on the property, and posted a sign implying that in short order it would be building a new sanctuary there. (Something which never seemed to move from the theory to the reality stage). A few weeks ago, I wrote the pastor, and made him aware of the dire state of the poor little tree, and perhaps he would care enough to do something about it. Shortly thereafter I received a note stating that the church was in the process of selling the property, and “no, we won’t be de-mossing the tree,” but “thank you very much for your concern.”

A few days ago a realtor posted a sign on the fence, and the property is officially up for sale. But I just can’t get that poor moss-infested tree out of my mind. I mean, I know there are weightier concerns on this planet than the fate of a lone oak tree, but it seems to me that there is something I can, and perhaps I should do.

And as I write this blog it occurs to me that yours truly will do the deed. I mean all I need is a ladder, and several hours of my time.

Trouble is, I once fell off a ladder and the results weren’t as pretty

… as the tree is now.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 7

No comments:

Post a Comment