Wednesday, September 23, 2015

An On Time Dream. A Late Delivery


My final day at UPS was October 23, 1997. I had been planning what I would say in our morning meeting, so I was not caught unawares. When my supervisor gave me an opportunity to speak to the other drivers, I said,

“Well, even after 20 years on this job I can still dance,” (and I proceeded to do a little jig), “and I can still knock out a few pushups,” (and I dropped down and did several one handed pushups), “and I can kiss the boss.” (My supervisor was a woman, and with this I turned, and gave her a peck on the cheek).

And having clocked out at the end of the day, I (only) thought I was done. I was and I wasn’t.

For you see, I have a recurring dream on a monthly basis in which I find myself delivering packages once again. The dream is always the same. It’s about 6PM, and I have five or six undelivered packages, and try as I will I cannot locate the addresses on a map. And since United Parcel takes a dim view of bringing back packages at the end of the day, I’m almost frantic to locate the recipients of the boxes.

I have always known the meaning of the dream. The undeliverable packages, and my tardiness returning to the UPS center are only symbols, and relate to an unsettledness that during the last quarter of my life, I might somehow not fulfill my destiny; that I might fall short, and “fail to deliver.”

My God give both you and me wisdom to discern His will, and to fulfill it well.

 By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 7

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment