Thursday, September 24, 2015

I Have a Rendezvous With Death


“As it is appointed unto man once to die, and after this the judgment.” (Hebrews 9:27, KJV)

     I think about death two or three times a week. I’m a little fascinated with it (as long as it’s happening to somebody else)!

     I’ve collected many poems, stories and jokes about death. Whether it’s “So live that when thy summons comes to join”… or the “little toy dog is covered with dust”… or “I have a rendezvous with death”… or even the memorable quote from the movie, “What about Bob;” “You’re going to die, we’re all going to die,”… death surrounds us, and reminds us of its inevitability.

     I was at the post office today, and looked over to my right. In front of me, in all its glory was a hearse. After I retrieved my mail I pulled out of the parking lot, only to see the hearse just behind me, and catching up. Of course, this can give you “the willies.” Well, the hearse was still there one, and then two miles later.

    And this illusion is so reminiscent of our eventual fate. The hearse is just behind us. My casket may have already been manufactured, and just waiting “to be filled.” Without any doubt, God won’t be caught unawares. He won’t turn to the Death Angel and say “Why did you do that?”

    Our times are in His hands, literally. We will abide ‘til he decides to dispatch the Death Angel to us. And except for the two people that were translated that they should not see death, all will encounter death. We haven’t been given a choice.

     But “Oh death where is your sting, and Oh grave where is thy victory?” (1st Cor. 15:55, KJV) We simply cannot stay here. We will all pass from this life at a time appointed by our Creator. But I’m so grateful that death need not be a time of trepidation or personal pain.

     Some have said that we are earthly beings having a spiritual experience. But I believe we are spiritual beings having an earthly experience. Our life here is like fog in the morning. The confusion, the obtuseness of this life will pass. Heaven will exceed our wildest imaginations.

     I love the mountains. I love the snow. I love the ocean. I’m convinced that these same features will exist in heaven. But if not, God has already planned, (and possibly prepared) the most luxurious of environments for us.

     Paul said that he was caught betwixt living and dying, “And though death is probably better for me, I feel sure that I will be left here for now.” (Phil. 1:23-24, MPV) Our Apostle Friend was homesick; homesick for heaven. Perhaps he knew that his life would be measured in a few short months or years. He would literally lay down his life on the Caesar’s altar.

    Yes, our Father has our welfare at heart, and it is He who makes decisions about the term of our lives here. My friends, we can trust Him with the most minute of choices.

     I’m glad He doesn’t share the exact time of our deaths with us. Knowing the date of one’s death could immobilize all but the most stalwart of men. Granted, it’s not something we ought to brood over, or invest hours thinking about. But we must have healthy fear of not fulfilling the plans he had for us from the beginning of time. That old hearse continues to circle the block, and pops up here and there, from time to time. But sometimes it is empty, and when it is not

… I know it’s not me!
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005

   

 

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment