Wednesday, September 23, 2015

I'd Rather Have Jesus


Eighty years ago, the Canadian George Beverly Shea was contemplating a career in music. After training in New York City, he was given an audition by a representative of a radio station, and was offered a contract.

He asked that he might sing Gospel songs. He was told that he might use one occasionally, but he would have to use the songs on the Hit Parade.

What would he do? His mother was praying.

On Saturday night she placed a poem on the piano. The next morning the young man with the marvelous bass voice sat down to practice.

As his eyes raced over the poem his mother had left on the piano, the sentences “I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause” and “I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame” struck his very heart. His fingers unconsciously left the tune he had been rehearsing, and began to create this melody which is today known to millions.

      George Beverly Shea turned down the secular recording contract.

A short time later he was offered a position with a Chicago radio station where he was encouraged to use the Gospel songs he loved. While there he met Billy Graham. George Beverly Shea was still singing “I’d Rather Have Jesus” at the age of 104, when he passed from this world to the next, and finally met the Jesus of his song.

++++++++++

I'd Rather Have Jesus     

(1) I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold,

I'd rather be His than have riches untold;

I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands,

I'd rather be led by His nail-pierced hand.

 

CHORUS:

Than to be the king of a vast domain

Or be held in sin's dread sway;

I'd rather have Jesus than anything

This world affords today.

      

(2) I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause,

I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause;

I'd rather have Jesus than world-wide fame,

I'd rather be true to His holy name.

      

(3) He's fairer than lilies of rarest bloom,

He's sweeter than honey from out the comb;

He's all that my hungering spirit needs,

I'd rather have Jesus and let Him lead.


       When King George VI and the queen visited Washington, DC, a state dinner was given in their honor. Chief Whitefeather, an Indian, began the program by singing the British anthem. After the applause the chief sang, to the surprise of those present, the hymn whose opening words are, “I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold!”

       Later in the evening, the chief sat near the king and queen. Tactfully he asked the queen, “Do you believe on Jesus?” The queen replied graciously, “He is the Possessor of my heart, and of my husband’s also!” The king, smiling, added, “I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold!”
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Musings"

No comments:

Post a Comment