Friday, September 25, 2015

2 Outta 3 Ain't Bad


It was January of 1961, and President Kennedy was being inaugurated. I sat in a classroom with twenty other sixth graders watching the images of the event on a black & white television.

It was during that year that the students in our classroom were given the opportunity to run for

SAFETY PATROL

And since I fancied myself an ideal candidate for the job, I immediately “put my name in the hat.”

As I recall, Mr. Ball passed out paper ballots, and we were instructed to choose several from among those students who were on the list.

I was not chosen

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I was more than disappointed.

I was rejected and dejected

Fast forward over half a century.

Yesterday as my wife and I were cleaning out our garage, I found a certificate. At the top, in black block letters, were the words,

SAFETY PATROL

And under the words, the name of my (now) 37 year old daughter, KRISTY

I had forgotten she had been a member of that prestigious little club.

And lo and behold, a few days after I discovered my daughter’s attractive little document, my grandson, NOAH, was appointed to his school’s

SAFETY PATROL

(I guess they’ve gotten past the archaic practice of voting for that position).

I suppose 2 outta 3 ain’t bad

But perhaps I have, for all intents and purposes, finally joined that prestigious little club since in my role as a manager with a local construction company, I now present a weekly safety meeting to our work crew.

There’s an old adage, “Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt.”

I’m thinking I’ll order the T-shirt…
 
SAFETY PATROL

And for all my former classmates who didn’t vote for me.

… Well, in your face, guys and gals!!!

 By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 8

 

No comments:

Post a Comment