Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Becoming Relevant


There’s nothing that appeals so much to a non-believer, or weaker Christian than that we are relevant to their needs.

 
     One man felt at a loss to “come along side” after a friend of his died. He kept asking himself the age-old question, “What can I do?” Suddenly, it occurred to him. He drove to his deceased friend’s home, and rang the doorbell. Susan came to the door. As soon as the young widow swung the door open, Jim walked to the children’s closet.

     Susan stood there and watched, and though she was weighed down with grief, her curiosity got the better of her.

     “Jim, what on earth are you doing?”

     To which Jim responded.


     “The children will be attending their Dad’s funeral and I’m going to polish their shoes.” The heart of a servant. Seeing a need that you have the wherewithal to supply.

     I know someone like that. And it’s my inestimable privilege to know her. Tonight I pulled her aside, and said, “The definition of Great. Someone that doesn’t remind you of anyone else. That’s so much like you.”

     But I’m convinced that greatness and relevancy goes hand in hand. This lady is perfectly content being relevant and unrecognized. For she has that heart of a servant. She is “the only Jesus” that some people may ever know. For her heart is utterly sympathetic to the spoken and unspoken needs of those who surround her.

    The longer I live, the more I’m convinced that God will honor a relevant, but humble servant like her, far and beyond those who put themselves out as great, and “put on airs.”

     I want to be relevant. I pray God will stir up a spirit of discontentedness in me, should I ever be comfortable with irrelevancy. For He has commanded us to go into “Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and into the uttermost parts of the earth.” (Acts 1:8, KJV)

 By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005   

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment