Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Best Friend and Teacher Ever


I was just watching an old segment, (well, they’re all old) of “Little House on the Prairie” in which, strangely enough, everyone in the entire town of Walnut Grove were going their separate ways.

In the meantime the actress who portrays Mary Ingalls, (strangely enough a distant cousin of mine) has lost her sight. “Pa” and “Ma” happen to be bidding Mr. and Mrs. Oleson, the shopkeepers, “adieu” when the town’s school teacher walks into the store.

Miss Beddle is well aware of Mary’s plans to teach at a blind school, and has a surprise for her. She embraces her former student, and presses something into her hand. The feel of the article in her hand is unmistakable. When she still had her sight, Mary had often seen the broach pinned to Miss Beddle’s frocks.

“Mary, my teacher gave this broach to me. Now I’m giving it to you.”

Nothing brings tears to my eyes more quickly than a scenario in which mentoring is somehow illustrated.

I am a mentor. At this time in my life and ministry mentoring IS well, my primary ministry.

One of my former interns and I were talking one day, and on a whim I asked Nikki what she thought I should use as an epitaph. Without hesitating, she responded,

“The Best Friend and Teacher Ever”

After I caught my breath, I thanked her, and told her I liked the wording so much that I planned to use it, (one day).

I was once at a graduation exercise when I saw the following adage flashed on the screen.

“My students are living messages to a time that I will never see.”

I can think of nothing better than to leave someone behind who will pass on the something which I have shared with them.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 9

No comments:

Post a Comment