Saturday, September 26, 2015

Son, Prepare for Your Wedding


It was March 1981 and as I entered the house, I heard Rev Mark Buntain calling me. He was visiting his daughter, Bonnie and her husband Jim. Jim was completing his Residency Program at the University Medical Center and Bonnie was an RN at the hospital. I was boarding in their house while attending the University completing the MBA program and now had applied for the Computer Science program for the Fall Semester Bonnie been a wonderful sister to me since childhood. She was a big influence in my life. Jim and she spent Christmas 1980 in Calcutta and when she returned, she said, “Krish, I have good news! You better start planning for your wedding in May 1981."

He said "Can you take me to the mall, son?" I willing drove him and while driving, I was thinking that he may be purchasing something special for his beloved Huldah. He glanced at the Information chart at the entrance, located the shop and hurriedly walked on, with me following him. He went to Zales, the jewelry shop. He told the attendee that he wanted to see the manager. He told the manager, "This is my son attending the university and he is getting married soon and now is looking for a ring for his bride to be." Immediately, my palms started sweating and I felt weak in my knees. I did not have a penny in my pocket except a few dollars in the bank to pay. My parents and Rev Huldah Buntain were planning a wedding for me in Calcutta, India.

The manager eagerly tried to show the usual rings displayed on the counter. Rev Buntain requested him to show the diamond stones which these shops keep hidden away in a cloth-bag. The manager brought a small bag and spread the sparking stones on a blue-velvet cloth. Rev Buntain took an eye-glass and checked each stone and kept a few aside and asked me to check them. I nervously checked and picked one then we selected the bands. The manager calculated and said what the price would be. My heart missed a beat and then to my utter amazement, Rev Buntain gave the manager the full price and said, "Give us a call when they are ready for pick-up" and both of us stepped out of the shop.

As we were walking towards the car, Rev Buntain whom I fondly called "Dad," put his arm around my shoulder and said, "Son, my dad did this very thing for me. He took me to the shop and checked the stones and the bands and paid for them. I am too doing the same. You are a son to both Huldah and me and we are so grateful that God gave you to us."

"When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word, what a glory He sheds on our way’

“He’s More Than Wonderful to me” for He radiates my life with His favor and goodness.

Hallelujah!
 
By Krish Venkanna (God-son of Mark and Huldah Buntain, missionaries to India)

No comments:

Post a Comment