Sunday, September 27, 2015

Leaving Something Behind


There’s a scene in the book and movie “Shackleton,” in which an Antarctic expedition photographer/videographer may be seen filming the crew of her majesty’s ship, “Endurance.” The young man, as all photographers are apt to do, can be heard giving instructions to a motley assemblage of Englishmen, as they stand on the deck of the ship.

“C’mon men. Look at the lens. Your children, and grandchildren and great grandchildren are here; just inside this box.”

This concept struck me rather strange, a bit poignant, and quite true. After all, in all those momentary reflections which were committed to a glass lens and celluloid film, a hundred years hence, they were leaving something of themselves behind; to be discovered by, and delighted in by their countless descendants.

And so, with each image for which our own distant ancestors posed, they provided us some understanding of why we look the way we do; enlightening those of us who would never have the privilege, (or possibly the misfortune,) of knowing them in person.

We look into those unblinking eyes which stare out at us from fading black and white celluloid photographs, and it is all too apparent that not only did we never know them, but that we will never have the opportunity to know them. You see they never left anything behind. And that’s just sad.

Well, granted, they might have left us one or two fading photographs, and photographs are nice, but I think if that’s all we leave behind, well, it’s simply not enough.

Neither, I think, is it enough to leave a bit of land or “green paper with dead president’s pictures.” Neither land nor jewels nor cash represent or characterize us very well to our descendants.

While land, money and photographs and such things are nice, and add something to our lives, I believe every one of us should consider leaving something more personable, more tangible, and more enduring behind.

A written, video, or audio record of our having lived, and moved, and breathed:

A daily diary, journal or blog has the potential to inform and influence those among our descendants whom we will never have the wherewithal to meet in person, allowing them to know who we were, what we believed, what values we held, whom we loved, how we lived, etc.

Too many of my direct ancestors, as well as yours, just seemed to be “too busy living” to leave anything behind. I personally think that’s just a crying shame, and I, for one, am not content to follow their lead.

I have been fortunate to discover three examples of written materials which have been “left behind” by members of my extended family.

A great uncle authored a volume containing his Civil War memoirs. A distant cousin left behind a journal of his experiences while on an 1849 overland journey between Wisconsin and California. Another cousin penned an academic thesis while finishing the requirements for a graduate degree in philosophy.

Not to be outdone, (since I would be a hypocrite if I failed to follow my own advice) I have compiled four hard drives which contain, (and to which I continue to add):  Ministry Materials, Genealogical Research representing multiple branches of my family, Unpublished Volumes which I have written, and Family Photographs, Audios and Videos. Upon my passing each of my children will be provided copies of these resources; with the admonition that when newer methods of electronic storage are developed that these materials should be upgraded to the newest media devices. In turn, I expect my children to bequeath these resources to their children, and so forth.

Following is the forward from my autobiography:

“As I write these words I am here, and you are not. As you read these words, you are here, and I am not.

The written word, like almost nothing else, has the capacity to unite me with you, to commune with you, and to convey something of my essence, encouragement and affection to you at a time when I no longer have the wherewithal to do so in any other manner. If you are reading this, that time is now, and I will have gone on to my reward.

My dear grandchildren, I have long considered prayer my ministry to you. I have prayed for you, though as I write this many of you are little more than ‘a twinkle in your great Granddad’s eyes.’

Life is too hard and too unpredictable for anyone to go it alone. I have prayed for you on a daily basis. I wanted you to know. You are loved with an everlasting love.”

Granddad

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005

 

No comments:

Post a Comment