Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Not Ready for the Trash Heap


I was taking a break from what would be a couple of hours of yard work today when the doorbell rang. As I opened the door a middle-aged man stood there, and asked.

 

“I was wondering. That lawnmower by the road. Are you throwing it away?”

 

I immediately recognized my mistake.

 

Having mowed one side of my yard, I had stopped to get a drink of water, and left my almost new $300 mower by the street, next to the garbage bin and yard clippings, and ready for pickup.

 

“Oh no. I’m sorry,” I replied. “But I can’t blame you for asking.”

 

The man thanked me, turned and walked back to the car which he’d parked in front of my house.

 

It occurred to me that he might very well have just loaded up the mower and driven away; given the fact that I had left it next to my garbage bin and yard trash.

 

I think God is a lot like that.

 

While many might think there’s not much to be admired about us, or anything worthy of being saved, He knows our intrinsic worth, and isn’t prepared to just throw us away.

 

Though men revile us and say all manner of evil about us, we have a Savior who is in the business of rescuing people like us from the trash heap of life.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 7

No comments:

Post a Comment