Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Best Teacher (in Room 32)


I was watching the local school board channel today, a channel I never watch, but found myself momentarily interested in an awards program for gifted teachers.

      I suddenly realized that the program was slightly dated, since I recognized a member of our church on stage; a fine man named Sam Bennett; (who ultimately became Dean of Education at a local university, and for whom I subsequently worked as an adjunct professor there).

      As the video continued, Mr. Bennett was presented the Polk County Teacher of the Year Award, (and later won the Florida Teacher of the Year Award). He was asked to say a few words, and he humbly stepped forward. The words he spoke were so poignant, so telling; so provocative.

      “As I look out at all of you here, I may not be the best teacher in this county, the best in my section, or even the best at Garner Elementary. But I hope I’m the best

…in room 32.

Teaching is a ministry. Teaching is what I can get enthused about. Teaching is my ministry.”

      I think Sam’s implication was “It’s nice to be awarded Teacher of the Year. This may be the most important award I ever receive. But it all comes down to ‘God, let me minister in that small corner where you have put me. Let me reach the few you have placed in my hand.’”

     That has been my prayer, again and again. I don’t care if I ever “have a name.”  It really doesn’t matter if fame and fortune grace my path. I just want to minister in what my associate refers to as, “The Unfinished Room.” (And I’m convinced that the room will remain unfinished as long as I am doing and saying those things He has called me to do and say).

For there’s always more work to do, there’s always more words to speak, there’s always more people to touch. There’s always more tears to shed.

     For I think a man will never be truly happy ‘til he finds himself in that proverbial room of God’s choice, be it big or small; cooperating with God to the saving of souls, and encouragement of the human spirit.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Musings"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment