Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Keeping His Legacy Alive


     What follows is a eulogy that my daughter wrote for her Granddad. I need add nothing to it.

      My Grandfather was such a vital ingredient in sculpting my life. The majority of my early childhood memories involve time with my Grandfather. He would rescue me from a boring day at home with Mom. Just the mention of Granddaddy coming to retrieve me resulted in my packing a brown paper bag; my favorite toys enclosed. You see, I personally selected those toys as sleeping buddies for my Granddaddy and Grandma. They never complained and always showered me with gratitude for bringing them stuffed animals.

      I can still remember endless days of swim lessons, and being told that if I stood real still the fish would come and bite me. I would kick and scream, but Granddaddy would always hold me tightly, and tell me that he would not let anything harm me. Whether it was an afternoon nap, or a place of refuge, my mother trying to pull me from his side, I would always feel safe sitting next to him in his comfortable chair.

     As I grew into a young lady, my grandfather was always there to lift me up and encourage me. This was especially so with my spiritual walk. He was never shy about telling me what God had done in his personal life. He expressed great love for His Lord, and always encouraged me to stay strong in my own spiritual walk. He would remind me to always walk in the direction that God was leading me, and never base my actions on others’ judgments.

     I think the best gift I ever gave him was my presence next to him in church. He was always so proud when the Vaughn family filled more than one pew in Sunday morning service. I, too, am proud to have had a grandfather that was so concerned with his family’s spiritual life. I think all he ever really wanted was to see his family serving and loving the same God that he had met, so many years before.

     I realize that others knew him longer than I, but I feel as though my time with him was precious, and can never be replaced by another.

     Oh, how the memories linger!

     And with this promise, I promise to keep his spirit alive in my children, and generations to come.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment