Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Best Friend and Teacher Ever


In the well-known book, “Rocket Boys,” upon which the movie, “October Sky” was based, Homer Hickam, the NASA rocket engineer, alludes to his favorite teacher.

“In that particular volume, I quote Miss Riley as saying,

‘All I’ve done is give you a book. You have to have the courage to learn what’s inside it.’  She had just provided me with a book about rockets that required a thorough knowledge of calculus and differential equations to understand.  Although I was having trouble with algebra at the time, Miss Riley believed in me and so I believed in myself.

    Miss Riley was not an easy teacher.  She was a tough teacher.  She gave lots of homework and required each of us to arrive in class prepared and ready to discuss the day’s lessons.  Miss Riley paid attention to all her students, not just her missile-building boys.  She was fierce in her belief that going to school was the job of her students and, therefore, sacred. 

To do a poor job was simply not acceptable.  When I got arrogant because of my rocket successes, or in trouble for my failures, she kept me on an even keel with just a few words of appropriate encouragement and a form of tough love.  Even when she was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, she never stopped teaching.”

Even as she approached her imminent demise, and when most would have been content to die, Miss Riley insisted her students … carry her on a stretcher into her classroom; where she taught her beloved pupils ‘til the very end.

An amazing teacher who possessed traits to which we all should aspire. A realization of her inherent value to the next generation, and the innate selflessness which is required to properly nurture young lives; without the slightest need or desire for special recognition.

Without dispute or doubt. Miss Riley, and all who pick up the mantle which fell from her shoulders, may properly be referred to as

“The Best Friend and Teacher, Ever”

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Concepts, Teachings, Practicalities & Stories"

No comments:

Post a Comment