Thursday, September 24, 2015

Passing the Baton


     I’ve thought a great deal about the concept, “Passing The Baton.” It’s a rich principle.

     I came to know Christ as my personal Savior in 1967. A friend had invited me to attend an evangelistic service at the college I later attended. A denominational Sunday School Director was the featured speaker; a man with the last name of Kirschke. At the end of the service he invited “the unsaved” in the audience to come forward, and I, feeling “my spirit strangely warmed” complied. A very old man named Jerry Triemstra, an emigrant from Holland, prayed with me, and I received an old fashioned dose of Salvation.

     I never saw either of these two men again. And, based on their age at the time, I’m sure they’ve gone on to their well-deserved reward.

     I’ve been reflecting on these men the past couple of days, and how thankful I am that they were there when I most needed them. But I’ve also been thinking of the men or women who influenced my “momentary mentors,” and who influenced them, and so forth.

     For there has been a constant “Passing of the Baton” throughout the ages, over the course of two thousand years, beginning with Christ, Himself. And if a family flow-chart could be developed to indicate the spiritual lineage of each and every Christian, lines would be drawn backwards through the ages, starting with Christ, and flowing through one of His 12 apostolic tributaries.

     I read something once that characterized the direct succession of famous evangelists over the past several hundred years. It indicated how people like John Wesley influenced Dwight L. Moody who influenced Billy Sunday who influenced Billy Graham who influenced Franklin Graham, and so on. Granted, these influences were not all personal interactions, but sometimes consisted of written work. But marvelously, there seems to be a direct line of evangelistic succession among them. The Passing of the Baton.

     My own personal Baton Passers were, no doubt, good and Godly men. I owe them much. And more than anything else I owe them the satisfaction of seeing their worn, old baton being passed to the next generation of Baton Receivers.

     And I have not let them down.

    We are like runners on a track. I love to watch the 4x4 sprint. Each runner runs a complete circuit of the track, passing his baton to the next. They start off with extreme enthusiasm and speed, and though fatigue and pain virtually exude from their body, they continue their relentless pace. And then it happens. The baton is handed off with a quick, but graceful flick of the arm and wrist. And the Winded Warrior hands off to the Waiting Warrior.

     I’ve been blessed to “circle the field” several times, and I’ve handed my baton to many people.

     In the movie, “The Man Without A Face”, the major child character reflects, “I always scan the crowd… looking for that one; that lone face in the crowd.”

     And it’s like that with me.

      I’m looking for the next Baton Receiver. They’re out there… somewhere. And I never have to guess at their identity. It’s always been obvious, with a little time. I look for that one face that stands out in the crowd. And I run towards them, and I see their backwards-extended hand, and the exchange is made, and they sprint forward.

      I admit it; I’m growing a bit tired now. I’ve circled that old track many times. And like Paul, “I’ve run the race and (I’m finishing) the course.” And with every pass of the baton I sense God’s favor, and I am blessed with the blessing with which I bless.”

     And like a famous athlete once said, “When I run, I sense His favor.” (Eric Liddell)

    And one day I will run that track for the last time, and I pray that my last pass of the old baton is successful. For I’m convinced that I’ll expend my last, and my best effort as I come into home.

     And I’m sure that the last handoff will be the most flawless of them all. And I am persuaded that I’ll see my successor take the first turn, the old baton gripped tightly in their hand.

     And the smile on my face will mirror the inestimable smile of my soul.

 By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment