Saturday, September 19, 2015

Geriatric Pushups


I saw a video the other day which called to mind something from the past.

The short news clip follows a female volunteer EMT during the course of her duties. At one point she challenges the interviewer to a duel. Well, not exactly a duel.

You see both women drop down, and proceed to “knock out” pushups. Now I’m not talking about what is popularly referring to as “the sissy kind.” The younger woman manages three, while the “more mature” lady does, (drum roll)

… 10

(and in perfect form).

Did I mention the female EMT is

… 87!

(Yes, she is).

But as I previously inferred, this bit of film reminds me of something which occurred in my own life. As a former substitute teacher I “subbed” six or eight times a month in the local high schools. Once, when I was doing my thing at my own alma mater, and was seated at the teacher’s desk, I overheard a conversation between two male students as they came in the door.

“Uhhh! We have a baldheaded old man for a sub today.”

Needless to say, I was unimpressed with his demeaning comment. Nonetheless, I allowed the entire class period to expire before I attempted a response.

“I heard a couple of you guys talking as you came in the door. And the subject was yours truly. Let me attempt to quote whomever did the talking. ‘We have a baldheaded old man for a sub today.’ Well, I’m going to show you what a baldheaded elderly man can do.”

And with that, I dropped down, right in front of God and everybody, and proceeded to do six or eight

… one handed pushups.

You could have heard a pin drop.

And with that several macho (or they thought they were) boys spontaneously strutted up to the front, and dropped down to the floor. Each of them “assumed the position” and proceeded to

… fall flat on the floor.

Needless to say, I lmbo!!!

Never judge a book by its cover.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 7

 

No comments:

Post a Comment