Sunday, September 27, 2015

Washing a Disciples Feet


In the past couple of years I mentored a young oriental lady whose origins were in the mid-east.

Each time she walked in my office door she would stoop to her knees, and place a hand on each of my shoes. She explained that in her country subordinates would often perform this deed among those whom were deemed worthy of respect; such as teachers or mentors.

I allowed “Francisca” to exercise this small tribute for a few weeks, and one day I decided I would “turn the tables” on her.

As my student walked in the door I dropped to my knees, and proceeded to touch her feet.

Well, to say that the young lady was both surprised, and dismayed would be a gross understatement.

So reminiscent of Peter in the upper room, when he exclaimed, “No, Lord, you should NEVER wash my feet!” Christ’ actions were just as foreign to His outspoken disciple that day, as mine were to Jasmine.

From that day onward, though she and I met together for several more months, Jasmine never again bowed the knee, and “paid homage.”

My decision to take the part of a servant had been just short of repugnant to my pupil; having grown up in a country in which the foregoing tradition was, well, a tradition.

And to be sure, I think we should generally respect the traditions of other cultures.

However, Christ has set a standard for us which supercedes all cultures. He has given us a heavenly culture to emulate; one in which the greater is expected to serve the lesser.

There is a beautiful statue on the grounds of my alma mater, Southeastern University, which depicts Jesus in the midst of washing Peter’s feet. The God-man, the Creator of the earth, and the moon, and the far-flung galaxies, His knees resting on the rough-hewn floor, His hands lovingly caressing the lowliest of His creations; a raw and ignorant fisherman.

Scripture assures us that, “If anyone would be great among you, he must become a servant.”

I teach a segment on Servant-leadership. You can readily see, based on the capitalization, and placement of the words, where I place my emphasis. A leader is first of all, a servant. From my perspective, the so-called leader who fails to serve is no leader at all.

God give me the heart of a servant, and let every other attribute lag behind. Give me the attitude, the words, the behavior of one who figuratively, and if need be, literally, bends the knee to serve those for whom you died.

May their station in life be counted a trifle to me. Though their sins be many, give me the same wherewithal you exercised; to look beyond their faults and to see their need. God give me the heart and compulsion of a servant that my living may truly not be in vain.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Musings"
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment