Friday, September 25, 2015

The Hand on my Shoulder


I found myself standing in a group of hungry supplicants. The evangelist had called us forward. The old year was about to pass away, and the new one was coming in on the wings of an early winter.

    But it was “warm and toasty” where I stood that night. We stood in a circle around our pastor, praying for both him and ourselves. It was a time of recommitment and expectation.

    The sermon had been absolutely absorbing. The emphasis had been on Elijah and Elisha. Most veteran Christians have heard of these two. It seems that Elisha had a curious habit of following Elijah around wherever he went. For he sought a blessing; not just any blessing, but his expectation was for a double-anointing. He was determined to be twice the spiritual man Elijah was.

     We waited in hushed silence as the visiting minister prayed for each of us, and then turned to our pastor. We were admonished to stretch out our hands towards our pastor, and I felt a hand on my own shoulder. Someone behind me was using me for a conduit, as I reached my own hands towards our parson.

     The touch was comforting, as the prayer reached its conclusion. But, even now the hand never moved. In fact, it never wavered. The weight of that hand remained, and that seemed peculiar to me. I debated turning around, but turn around I had to. As I turned my head, my mouth dropped in disbelief. There was no one behind me! And yet, the weight of the hand remained.

     In fact, I sensed the hand on my shoulder all the way back to my pew, and throughout the closing prayer, and into the church parking lot, and all the way home, and for minutes after I arrived home!

     Now I’m not one to take the supernatural for granted, since it’s been a present, but rare thing in my Christian experience. God spared my life three times, and in each circumstance he saved me by a strong right Hand. Another time I was “Slain in the Spirit,” and fell like a timber onto a hard wood floor. I never felt a thing!

His Hand certainly cushioned my fall. Later a frail, but famous evangelist stretched out his hand and straightened my little boy’s eyes; yielding his hand to the Hand of the Creator. A mentally-ill client spent a year under my own care, and left restored, her symptoms gone like leaves in the wind. The Almighty still has His Hand on this precious servant.

    At times I can still sense The Hand on my shoulder. It is still early to draw a conclusion, but I have no doubt about the meaning of the experience. I received a double blessing that night. He has appointed me for a task,

… and He has given me the wherewithal to do it.

 By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment