Sunday, September 27, 2015

Follow Me


There’s a classic old movie which I’ve watched a couple of times in the last few decades; “The Shoes of the Fisherman” starring Anthony Quinn.

A few minutes ago I stooped to look under my bed in hopes of finding my black military “lace-ups,” as I’m scheduled to sing a solo in church today; aptly titled,

… “Follow Me.”

As I kneeled by my bed, my military shoes were nowhere to be found. What I found, however, was far beyond anything I sought, or expected. For lying a couple of feet, (play on words) under my bed was an abundance of

… Shoes

Multiple. Copious. Many.

Shoes of every variety.

Tennis shoes, Coaches shoes. Loafers.

All rather used and dilapidated.

(And I might add I know a bit about shoes since I once managed a shoe store).

But it occurs to me that these old shoes represent the way I spent

… my time

Where I went. Where I worked. What I did.

Where I walked

(And it occurs to me that as a man may be judged by the condition of his soul, a shoe may also be judged by the condition of its sole. Man and shoe, alike, will bear the unmistakable signs

… of impact).

I have been privileged to counsel thousands, teach hundreds, and mentor dozens. But in spite of the impact I have exerted throughout the half century I have served the Lord, it behooves me to ask myself,

“Am I following the footprints of the Savior? Are the steps I’m leaving behind straight and un-muddied, and distinct enough for another to follow? And not unlike the mantle which fell from Elijah, are the figurative shoes I now wear suitable to be put on by those who are even now following my footsteps?”

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 8

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment