Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Sitting at the Feet of a Servant


As I was listening to BBC Radio tonight, the host of the program was involved in an interview with a talented story teller, Robbie Robertson.

Strangely enough, Mr. Robertson is the product of two ethnic groups which are rarely referred to in one breath. His mother is of Mohawk (Native American) heritage, while his father is a Jew. Almost a contradiction in terms. And when I learned of his unusual blend of ethnicities, it seemed I could all too well identify since, among several other nationalities, some of my own ancestors were Jewish, and Native American.

Speaking of stories, Robbie tells what is, perhaps, his favorite of all childhood stories.

“When I was a boy of 7 or 8 my father took me into what is known as a ‘Longhouse.’ I mean, I was just along for the ride. I was totally oblivious to what was coming up. Suddenly, an elder of the tribe appeared, and sat down in a twisted birch limb chair which was covered with the fur of a bear. The chief began speaking in our native language, and I can tell you that got my attention. And when he finished the brief introduction, he continued speaking in English, and told the story of the 6 nations; a story of our forebears, those who came before us, and who lived on our sacred land before the white man appeared in this hemisphere.”

(and)

“Even as a child I had been thinking about where I would go and what I would do as an adult. Perhaps an astronaut. Perhaps a rock band member. But I can tell you that after I listened to that storyteller in the longhouse, his melodious voice, his compelling tale, I found myself musing, ‘I want to be a storyteller. I simply want to tell stories.’”

And as it fallen together, Robbie has not only embraced the role of storyteller, and has written books for children, but he is also a guitarist, and composes Native American music.

So much like my previous example of Laura Hillenbrand and that selfless young man, and how the ad-lib story he shared with a few children became a catalyst for excellence.

Throughout the course of countless generations there have been a myriad of times and seasons in which obscure, unknown individuals become a stimulus for greatness in another; someone who in their lifetime may glean so much more status, riches and (most importantly) impact than he or she who was the catalyst for change, progress and maturity in their lives.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 17. Copyright pending
If you wish to share, copy or "save" this blog, please include the credit line, above

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment