Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Pike in the Fountain, Part 2


And perhaps I could come up with two or three more possibilities upon which to base tonight’s meanderings.

But I think the most beneficial rendering of the metaphor involves our response to those who so casually and negatively impact our lives; and seemingly without any subsequent thought or care for our human condition.

For you see, one implied, but not specifically stated agenda of the larger fish in Huston’s example is, for lack of a better word,

… homicide.

The pike depends on the carp for its sustenance. The weaker, lesser fishes naturally succumb to the larger one.

And granted, my previous implication extends the metaphor, but is an apt, I think, commentary on our human condition.

For there are those among us who almost seem to derive satisfaction from figuratively feasting on other human beings. Rather like relational cannibalism.

And I think it behooves us who have been harmed, or offended by the “pikes” to comfort, encourage and mentor those to whom it has freshly occurred.

There’s an old adage which goes something like,

“Life is hard, and then you die.”

Well, I hate to be cynical, but that is certainly one way of rendering it.

In the half century since I first came to a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, I have never experienced the formal guidance and encouragement of a mentor. Oh, I have known good, and well-meaning Christians, those persons of excellence whom I admired, and who gave me a little of their time. But I honestly can’t say that I assigned mentor status to any of them.

Sadly, I had to learn whatever I learned, and experience whatever I experienced the hard way.

And perhaps God had some unique design for allowing me to “go it alone.” I can be certain at this juncture, however, that He had it in His heart for me to touch the lives of others who contend with the “pikes” among us.

And while the agenda of the actual Humphrey Bogart towards his peers was at the worst, marginal, and for all his nettles, prickles and stings, he might have exercised a positive effect upon those with whom he had to do, I can assure you that the figurative Humphrey Bogarts, the pikes of this world, be they the designs of callous men, hellacious circumstances, or worst yet, the dark “prince of this world,” are out to do us bad.

But I believe we, who name the name of the One who came to seek and save the lost, can be assured that all things truly do “work together for good to those who love God,” and that He will, in spite of the enemy’s worst design, provide us a way of escape.
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 18. Copyright pending

If  you wish to copy, share or "save" this blog, please include the credit line, above
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment